The sight singing samples shall adhere to the following guidelines:
- All shall be in 4/4 time.
- All samples shall be rendered in both of the following major keys:
- Altos and Basses shall sing in Bb major.
- Sopranos and Tenors shall sing in F major.
- All shall start and end on either the lower or upper tonic.
- All shall be 8 measures long in ABAC form.
- Measures 1 and 2 shall be identical to measures 5 and 6.
- Measure 4 shall end in a half cadence.
- Measure 8 shall end in a full cadence.
Only the following melodic motion shall be used:
- The tonic up or down to the dominant
- The dominant up or down to the tonic
- Any third up or down within the key
- Any whole or half steps up or down within the key
Only the following rhythms shall be used, with the underlined values required in every sample:
- Whole note
- Dotted half quarter rest pattern
- Dotted half quarter note pattern
- Half note
- Dotted quarter note eighth note pattern
- Quarter note
- Quarter rest
- Pair of eighth notes
- With the exception of the dotted-quarter-note-eighth-note combination all eighth notes shall appear in pairs.
- There shall be no eighth rests, nor shall two eighth notes be split by another value to create syncopation.
- Any number of running eighth note pairs is allowed.